As a woman who loves clothes, I have had many experiences of going for “a look” in the shops only to return with my entire wage packet gone on clothes I don’t actually need. This used to be quite a frequent occurrence for me, even after I became an Image Consultant, I still couldn’t resist buying clothes I had no use for the only difference was that I always got some wear out of them.
The average woman wears 20% of her wardrobe 80% of the time, in order to start wearing 80% of your wardrobe 80% of the time you need to tackle impulse shopping.
Here is some tips on how to resist impulse buying:
1. If you have to go for a look around the shops take only the amount of cash you have allotted to clothes shopping with you and leave your card at home
2. Don’t buy the item unless it will go with at least 50% of you wardrobe, in the case of dresses only buy those that you already have accessories and coats/cardigan/shawl to match.
3. Bring a man with you while you shop,its proven we spend less time looking in stores while in male company and are less likely to buy unnecessary purchase than if we are with females or children
4. When you see something you like, make yourself wait before purchasing it. The longer you can wait before going back to the store the less likely you are to purchase it. So, set yourself a time goal of 3 days or 1 week and try to get to that point before you reconsider. If you still really want the item go back for another look and then decide. Often the excitement of the purchase will have worn off and you wont want it anymore.
5. Be cautious while paying. All retailers place items near or at the cash register to make you buy things you don’t need at the last minute.
Some other tips are - Avoid shopping with friends who encourage you to spend, spend, spend and avoid shopping with wealthy friends. Finally, never shop when your upset or need a boost as this is when you are most vulnerable and most likely to impulse buy.