At 5ft 3″ I think I would be considered short. When I choose things to wear I am always think about drawing the eye up and down on my body in order to create an illusion of length. The same principle works for taller people who are trying to make their body silhouette appear shorter.
However, where I try to draw the eye up and down with vertical focal points the taller person must draw the eye over and back with horizontal focal points. Try to keep the idea of an horizontal focus in your mind when dressing or shopping and you will find dressing your tall silhouette is easy.
Tips for how to shorten a tall body:
- Layered Clothing will shorten your torso by creating horizontal lines.
- Bold or chunky jewellery will be in balance with your frame but will also make the body appear smaller.
- Contrasting colours on shoes and ankle straps all shorten the leg.
- Wide brimmed hats, you have the height to pull them off and they will make you appear shorter
- Horizontal designs or lines on clothing again draw the eye across the body and so shorten your torso.
- Wide Belts create another horizontal illusion and shortening affect.
- Patterned tops and full blouses make the area smaller.
- Patterned or coloured tights and trousers will make your leg appear shorter.
- Capri pants shorten the leg and create another horizontal line.
Tall people should avoid:
Anything with vertical lines as they will lengthen your silhouette
Deep vertical necklines will again lengthen you instead choose necklines that are closer to the neck itself and more rounded.
Avoid monochromatic or one colour dressing as this lengthens the frame
As a tall person, patterns should be on the same scale. Small prints will make you look larger so chooses the right size
Similar to prints is jewellery, avoid anything on a small scale as it will make you look larger.